Barbecue meals don’t have to be unhealthy; you can grill fish instead of meat. Fatty fish like trout are high in protein, so they can keep you full for a longer period. Trout are also rich in omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins and minerals your body needs to function optimally. If you want a healthier diet, here are BBQ fish recipes for trout you can incorporate into your weight loss meal plan.
TRY THESE 3 TROUT BBQ FISH RECIPES
1. GRILLED TROUT WITH JALAPENO STUFFING
Trout pairs excellently with a variety of flavours. If you want a healthy dish with an extra kick, this grilled trout with jalapeno stuffing will be perfect for you. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 4 whole trout, cleaned
- 4 medium spring onions, diced
- 3 medium jalapenos, diced
- 1 bunch coriander, diced
- 1/2 cup capsicum, diced
- 1/2 cup ripe mango, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- cooking spray
- Preheat the BBQ to medium heat. Place grill rack 3 inches from the heat source.
- Combine spring onions, jalapenos, coriander, capsicum, mango, olive oil, lime juice, garlic salt and black pepper in a medium-sized bowl. Mix the ingredients.
- Lightly coat four pieces of foil with cooking spray. Lay fish on the foil diagonally. Place 1/4 of the mango stuffing inside each fish. Fold the corners of the foil as well as over the body of the fish.
- Cook both sides of the foil packets for a combined 20 minutes or until the flesh is cooked and flakes easily. Serve.
2. TUSCAN-STYLE GRILLED TROUT
Tuscan cuisine is all about simple ingredients that deliver a lot of flavours. This Tuscan-style grilled trout recipe has a garlic and herb marinade that blends well with a white vinegar sauce. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 8 trout fillets
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the BBQ to medium heat.
- Place garlic, oil, sage and rosemary in a small pan. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes or until garlic starts to brown. Remove from heat.
- Stir in vinegar, pepper and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Place trout fillets in a medium-sized pan. Season with 1/4 tsp salt. Brush 1/2 of the oil-vinegar mixture on both sides of the fish.
- Grill with the skin side down for two minutes. Flip to cook the other side for another two minutes.
- Transfer cooked trout fillets to a serving plate. Pour remaining half of oil-vinegar mixture over the fish. Serve.
3. BARBECUED TROUT
Barbecued trout may be one of the simpler BBQ fish recipes on the list. Nevertheless, it’s a healthy and delicious dish with a tender meat and a wonderful flavour. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 6 pan-dressed trout
- 2/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
- cooking spray
- Combine soy sauce, ketchup, lemon juice, canola oil and dried rosemary in a small bowl. Place 2/3 of the marinade in a resealable bag.
- Place fish inside the bag to absorb the marinade. Flip to coat both sides evenly. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Likewise, refrigerate the 1/3 marinade reserved for basting.
- Lightly coat wire grill basket with cooking spray. Place the fish in a single layer. Grill over medium heat for eight to 10 minutes. Flip the grill basket and baste the other side of the fish with reserved marinade. Cook for five to seven minutes, or until flesh flakes easily with a fork. Serve.
When barbecuing meals, red meat like steaks usually comes to mind. However, these typically come with high calorie counts — which is a no-no when you’re trying to lose weight. Thankfully, with BBQ fish recipes, you can still continue to fire up the grill and enjoy a variety of marinades and flavours.
Grilling fatty fish like trout provides you with delicious meals that can even help you lose weight. With that said, there really isn’t any reason why you wouldn’t enjoy these three delicious BBQ fish recipes for trout.