It’s important to fuel up before your workout. Eating something prior to hitting the gym actually makes your body burn more fat. Thus, pre-workout snacks can help you lose weight much faster. It can’t be just any snack, though. If you want optimal and efficient results, choose the best pre-workout snacks for weight loss.
These are healthy and low-calorie snacks but with enough carbs, protein and healthy fats to boost your energy levels. To steer you in the right direction, here are recipes for some of the best pre-workout snacks for weight loss.
FUEL YOUR BODY WITH THE BEST PRE-WORKOUT SNACKS
1. BERRY GREEK YOGHURT PARFAIT
Berry Greek yogurt parfait is one of the best pre-workout snacks to eat before a morning workout. This recipe is simple and can be easily prepared. You can even eat it on-the-go. Thus, berry Greek yoghurt parfait is an excellent choice if you’re running late in the morning.
Greek yoghurt also has protein, which boosts energy levels, as well as calcium, which strengthens muscles. Meanwhile, the antioxidant properties of berries help with muscle recovery.
- 2 cups honey vanilla Greek yoghurt
- 2 cups strawberries, chopped into small pieces
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 cups almond granola
- Place 1/4 cup each of Greek yoghurt, strawberries, blueberries and almond granola in layers in a tall glass.
2. DATE, ALMOND AND CINNAMON OATMEAL
Oatmeal-based recipes are also some of the best pre-workout snacks for weight loss. Since oatmeal is a slow-digesting carbohydrate, eating it before exercising provides the body with long-lasting energy. Though there’s a lot to choose from, we recommend trying this date, almond and cinnamon oatmeal recipe. This easy-to-prepare pre-workout snack nutritious, protein-packed and naturally sweet.
- 1/4 cup raw steel cut oats
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup dates, chopped
- a splash of vanilla extract
- a sprinkle of cinnamon
- Bring oats, milk and almonds to a boil in a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Reduce heat to low. Let simmer for 3 to 5 minutes or until the mixture has a thick consistency. Remove from heat.
- Stir in dates and vanilla extract.
- Transfer to a bowl. Sprinkle cinnamon on top and serve.
3. ORANGE ENERGY-BOOSTING SMOOTHIE
An orange energy-boosting smoothie is a good way to fuel up before hitting the gym. As one of the best pre-workout snacks for weight loss, this recipe incorporates citrus fruits, vegetables and milk. So, you get a more than sufficient dose of protein, iron and natural sugars. With this orange energy-boosting smoothie, you’ll be able to power through intense workout sessions.
- 4 spinach leaves
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 orange, deseeded and chopped
- 1 lemon, deseeded and chopped
- 1 peach, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk
- Place spinach, carrots, orange, lemon, peach and almond milk in the blender. Pulse until the texture is smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to glasses and serve.
4. BANANA WALNUT SMOOTHIE
Drinking this banana and walnut smoothie before your workout will make you feel energized. Bananas are one of the best pre-workout snacks for weight loss. They’re packed with carbs, sugar, potassium and vitamin C.
Bananas also stimulate the production of dopamine, which counteracts the damage caused by free radicals that are produced during exercise. Meanwhile, walnuts are also a good source of carbs, protein and fibre.
- 7 walnut halves
- 1 large banana
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Place walnuts, banana, skim milk, honey and vanilla extract in a blender. Pulse until the texture is smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to glasses and serve.
5. APPLE SLICES WITH PEANUT BUTTER
Apple slices with peanut butter is a pretty simple snack. Nevertheless, it’s one of the best pre-workout snacks for weight loss. Apples have natural sugars and carbs, while peanut butter has protein and healthy fats.
Since this pre-workout snack has a low glycemic index, the sugar will be slowly released into your bloodstream. This will provide you with sustained energy for a longer workout session.
- 1 medium apple
- 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- Core the apple and then cut into wedges.
- Spread peanut butter on top of each apple slice. Serve.
6. PROTEIN PANCAKES
This list of best pre-workout snacks for weight loss includes this protein pancakes recipe. These pancakes are packed with protein without having to use protein powder. Instead, the recipe uses hemp seeds, which are high in protein and healthy fats. Thus, eating these protein pancakes will allow you to power through even the most intense workout sessions.
- 2 eggs
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 3 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- a splash of vanilla extract
- Combine eggs, banana, hemp seeds, cinnamon and vanilla extract in a medium bowl.
- Heat coconut oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat.
- Pour batter and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Flip the pancake and cook the other side for 30 seconds.
- Transfer to a plate and serve. Top with berries and/or Greek yoghurt if desired.
7. SWEET POTATO BITES
This sweet potato bites recipe is packed with protein and healthy fats, making it one of the best pre-workout snacks for weight loss. Sweet potatoes are packed with antioxidants, which can reverse cell damage caused by oxidative stress, as well as potassium, which is an electrolyte that allows your muscles to work properly. So, this no-bake recipe for sweet potato bites can help maximise the effects of your workout session.
- 1/2 cup sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1/4 cup bananas, mashed
- 6 tbsp peanut butter
- 3 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Place pumpkin seeds, almonds, oats, hemp seeds and chia seeds in the food processor. Pulse until the nuts are crushed.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, bananas, peanut butter and cinnamon. You can also add maple syrup if more sweetness is desired. Pulse until the ingredients are well-combined.
- Pack the dough to form a large ball and cover with plastic wrap. Freeze for 30 to 45 minutes.
- When ready to eat, scoop out some of the dough to form bite-sized balls. Serve.
8. AVOCADO EGG ROLLS
You’ll definitely look forward to working out if you have these tasty avocado egg rolls as your pre-workout snack. Avocados are rich in fibre, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and healthy fats.
As one of the best pre-workout snacks for weight loss, this avocado egg roll recipe is very diet-friendly. It’s only 100 calories. Nevertheless, the avocado egg rolls provide your body with enough fuel to power through a high-intensity workout session.
- 4 sheets fillo pastry, quartered
- 1 1/2 ripe avocados
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 2 tbsp red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp sun-dried tomato, diced
- 1 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- olive oil cooking spray
- Place avocados, garlic, lime juice, red onion, tomato, cilantro and salt in a large bowl. Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Place 1/3 of the avocado mixture on the centre-right portion of the pastry sheet.
- Fold part of the pastry sheet to cover the avocado mixture. Meanwhile, brush the remaining half of the pastry sheet with the egg mixture.
- Roll the pastry sheet. Pat the egg mixture on the edges and then fold the sides. Cover surface with cooking spray.
- Place avocado egg rolls in a medium skillet over medium heat. Cook each side for 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate and slice avocado egg rolls in half. Serve.
9. PINEAPPLE AND COTTAGE CHEESE SALAD
Pineapple and cottage cheese salad is simple and easy-to-prepare pre-workout snack that’s also only 100 calories. You get a sufficient dose of carbs, protein and healthy fat, making it one of the best pre-workout snacks for weight loss. Apart from that, the probiotics in cottage cheese and the enzymes in pineapples also help improve your digestion.
- 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/4 cup canned pineapple, diced
- Place pineapple and cottage cheese in a large bowl. Stir to combine the ingredients.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve.
Working out on an empty stomach can lead to a significant loss of muscle mass. This goes against the main goal of exercise, which is to lose fat and build muscles. To prevent that from happening, we’ve introduced you to some of the best pre-workout snacks for weight loss.
Now, there’s no reason or excuse to exercise on an empty stomach. You can choose from a variety of tasty and healthy snacks that will fuel your body to burn more fat and thus, lose weight.