Snack time can be a dangerous time for dieters. You’re looking for something that can give you a boost in energy, but you don’t really have much time to spend in the kitchen to prepare a healthy snack. Thus, it can be very easy to munch on something like instant foods, which are packed with artificial preservatives. If you want to stay true to your diet, here are three healthy microwave recipes that are quick and easy to prepare.
MAKE THESE HEALTHY MICROWAVE RECIPES IN NO TIME
1. SKINNY MAC AND CHEESE
This skinny mac and cheese recipe is much healthier than the instant or boxed variety. Even though you have to make it from scratch, you can cook all the ingredients at the same time. Thus, you’ll have a yummy snack in 15 minutes or less. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 1/2 cups high-fibre elbow macaroni
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Havarti cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 56g cream cheese
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt, as needed
- Place macaroni, 1 cup milk, 1/4 tsp salt in a large microwave-safe bowl and stir. Cover with plastic wrap and cut a small slit in the centre.
- Microwave on high power for 4 minutes. Uncover and stir.
- Microwave macaroni on high power for another 1 1/2 minutes.
- Add 1 cup milk, mild cheddar, Havarti, Parmesan, cream cheese and mustard. Stir and cover the bowl. Microwave on high power for four minutes or until all the cheese has melted.
- Stir thoroughly. Microwave for 30 seconds if there’s still unmelted cheese.
- Transfer to plate and serve.
2. FAST CHICKEN FAJITAS
You can easily enjoy chicken fajitas with this quick recipe. You can even customise it with your seasoning or dressing of choice. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 8 chicken cutlets
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 3 bell peppers, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- salt and ground pepper, as needed
- Place chicken, bell pepper and onion in microwave-safe baking dish. Toss to combine ingredients.
- Add salt and pepper to season. Stir to distribute seasoning evenly.
- Cover and microwave chicken on high power for two minutes.
- Stir chicken and microwave once more for two minutes.
- Heat corn tortillas in microwave on high power for 30 seconds.
- Place chicken on a tortilla and top with sour cream dressing.
3. CRUSTLESS SPINACH AND CHEESE QUICHE
A spinach and cheese quiche is a heavier snack option, but you’ll be able to avoid fat and calories by going crust-less. This microwaveable meal is very filling and will give you a much-needed energy boost. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 280g frozen spinach, chopped
- 3/4 cup button mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup low-fat cheese, diced
- 1/4 cup shallots, chopped
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- butter-flavoured cooking spray
- Cover surface of the oven-safe baking dish with cooking spray.
- Place mushrooms and shallots in the dish and then cover. Microwave on high power for a minute.
- Add frozen spinach and water to the mushroom mixture. Cover the dish and place in the microwave. Cook on high power for three and a half minutes.
- Uncover dish. Break spinach and flip over. Cover once more and return to the microwave. Cook on high power for another three and a half minutes.
- Remove the dish from the microwave. Drain excess liquid, if needed.
- Combine egg substitute, milk, cheese and nutmeg in a bowl. Stir.
- Combine spinach, shallots and mushrooms in the baking dish. Stir.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dish. Cook in the microwave on high power for four minutes. Serve.
The microwave is usually used to prepare instant and, often, unhealthy snacks like cup noodles or popcorn. If you’re trying to keep the weight off, though, there are healthier snack options you can prepare using this kitchen appliance.
These three healthy microwave recipes will allow you to create quick and easy meals. They’ll give you an energy boost. You’ll also be able to feel good about yourself because you didn’t slip-up and consume artificial ingredients and preservatives.