By the age of 50, your risk for prostatic hyperplasia and prostate cancer significantly increases. This is due to the fluctuation of testosterone and other hormones, which are needed by the prostate to function properly. To increase your protection against these diseases, you should start consuming foods that are good for that specific organ. You surely won’t go wrong with this shrimp, broccoli and mushroom stir-fry recipe for a healthy prostate.
KEEP THE MANHOOD STRONG WITH THIS RECIPE FOR A HEALTHY PROSTATE
How are shrimp, broccoli and mushrooms good for your prostate? Well, all three promote prostate health. Specifically, though, shrimp is rich in zinc, which slows down the development of prostate cancer cells.
Broccoli, on the other hand, contains sulforaphane — a compound that fights prostate cancer. It also has phytonutrients, which metabolise the cancer-promoting hormone oestrogen into a safer version, as well as other cancer-fighting compounds such as lutein and zeaxanthin.
Likewise, Asian mushrooms like enoki, oyster and shiitake contain components that fight against prostate cancer. Specifically, ergosterol peroxide triggers the suicide of prostate cancer cells and inhibits further cell growth. These mushrooms are also high in the antioxidant L-ergothioneine, which protects cells from damage that can then result in cancer.
Given these health benefits, there’s merit in incorporating foods like shrimp, broccoli and mushrooms into your diet. Read on to discover everything you need to know about this shrimp, broccoli and mushroom stir-fry recipe for a healthy prostate.
- 454g large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 113g shitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 crown broccoli, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 1/3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper, as needed
- Mix shrimp with 1 tbsp cornstarch. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, 1/3 tbsp cornstarch and chicken stock in a bowl.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and sauté until outside is golden. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Heat another 1 tbsp oil and add garlic, onions and a pinch of salt to pan. Sauté onions for about 2 minutes or until onions have softened.
- Add broccoli and another pinch of salt. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms.
- Return shrimp to pan. Push all ingredients to the side and pour the sauce into the middle of the pan. Allow the sauce to darken and bubble. Toss to coat all the ingredients with sauce.
- Sauté until shrimp has cooked completely. Transfer stir-fry to serving plate and drizzle with lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
Older men must be proactive about their prostate health. Don’t wait until you start noticing the painful symptoms. One of the best ways to reduce your risk of BPH and prostate cancer is to switch to a healthy diet — particularly, one that’s rich in prostate-friendly foods.
Shrimp, broccoli and mushrooms are some of the best foods on the list. You’ll be able to take advantage of their cancer-fighting compounds all at once with our shrimp, broccoli and mushroom stir-fry recipe for a healthy prostate.