Read on to learn all about cooking with chickpeas.
SPOTLIGHT ON COOKING CHICKPEA SUPERFOOD RECIPES FOR WEIGHT LOSS
GETTING TO KNOW CHICKPEAS
Chickpeas have a lot of potential when added to a healthy diet. The legume is a superfood after all. It’s packed with protein and fibre, which are essential for healthy weight loss. Chickpeas are also low in fat and a good source of vitamins and minerals.
Aside from being the main component of hummus, there are many ways to cook chickpeas. In that vein, I’ll introduce you to superfood recipes that take advantage of the weight loss benefits of chickpeas.
WHY ARE CHICKPEAS GOOD FOR WEIGHT LOSS?
A cup of chickpeas has 15gm of protein, 13gm of dietary fibre and 269 calories. Though the legume is relatively high in calories, the amount of protein and fibre are more than enough to keep you full and satiated for a longer period. Thus, adding chickpeas to your meals, can be effective for weight control.
Apart from that, chickpeas are very nutritious. It’s a good source of folate, B vitamins, magnesium, iron, copper, manganese and phosphorus. These will allow your body to function more optimally.
Now that you know all about the weight loss benefits of chickpeas, it’s time to incorporate this superfood into your diet. Here are three chickpea superfood recipes for weight loss.
1. MOROCCAN-INSPIRED TOMATO CHICKPEA SALAD
Moroccan-inspired tomato chickpea salad is an easy recipe you can incorporate into your diet. It’s delicious enough on its own, but it can be paired with a variety of meals, as well. The spices will provide you with an exotic flavour. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 3 large tomatoes
- 2 (400g) cans chickpeas
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 50g baby rocket leaves
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp Moroccan seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- Coat chickpeas with 2 tbsp oil. Season with salt and pepper. Place chickpeas in a baking tray.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until crispy and golden. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Combine lemon juice, Moroccan seasoning, caster sugar, salt, pepper and 1/2 tbsp oil in a bowl. Stir to mix the ingredients.
- Mix chickpeas, tomatoes, rocket leaves and onions in a separate bowl. Pour dressing and then toss to combine the ingredients. Serve.
2. VEGAN PIZZA WITH CHICKPEA CRUST
I’ve included homemade pizza as part of my superfood recipes for weight loss because you can swap out high-carb ingredients with healthier alternatives. Instead of traditional dough, you can actually use chickpeas for pizza crust. Interested? Try this recipe for vegan pizza with chickpea crust. Here’s what you’ll need:
- 2 cups chickpea flour
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese
- 2 1/4 tbsp olive oil
- a bunch of kale, shredded
- salt, as needed
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Put flour, water, 1/4 tbsp oil and a pinch of salt in a medium-sized bowl. Mix to combine the ingredients.
- Spread flour mixture to form a circular shape with a 1/4-inch thickness.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are crispy.
- Mix kale with 1 tbsp olive oil in a small bowl.
- Remove crust from the oven. Flip the crust upside down.
- Spread marinara sauce over the crust. Top with kale and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes. Serve.
3. CHICKPEA BURGER
Forget the beef patty and have a vegan chickpea burger instead. This healthier burger alternative introduces a delicious and nutty flavour you’re bound to enjoy. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
- 6 whole-grain burger buns, toasted
- 2 (400g) cans chickpeas
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bunch coriander leaves
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely grated
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, cut into ribbons
- 1 egg
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 40g mixed salad leaves
- 2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper, as needed
- light sour cream, to serve
- sweet chilli sauce, to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic to the pan. Cook for five to seven minutes.
- Put chickpeas, coriander, zucchini, carrot, egg and lemon juice into a blender or food processor. Pulse well. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add garlic, onions and breadcrumbs to the bowl. Sprinkle salt and pepper to season.
- Create six patties. Place in the fridge for an hour.
- Heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil in pan over medium heat. Cook patties for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Place salad leaves, cucumber, sweet chilli and sour cream on both sides of buns. Put chickpea patty in the middle and serve.
Chickpeas are a superfood because they’re high in protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals. As the legume is a nutritional powerhouse, your body is able to receive essential nutrients it needs to function optimally. When it comes to weight loss, the more-than-enough protein and fibre keep you fuller for longer—this lessens your tendency to snack or overact. Follow these three superfood recipes for weight loss to see the amazing potential of chickpeas.